Monday, March 2, 2009

Boy Are My Arms Tired

Its almost been a week of the 40 Day Webcomic Project and my floor is littered with comics. Its taught me a few things, one being that I still need to learn how to draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw comics. Still, there are some people who can. And they get paid for it.

This week I talk about graphic novels. I'm in no way an avid print comic reader. The last comic book I bought, issues not collections, was a bunch of old B.P.R.D. comics. That was over a year ago. I'm more into collections overall but I might suggest the following novels, but you probably know them. That's why I normally read web comics for you.

Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons
Honestly, if you haven't read it, you probably would not be reading this. With the movie, the growing fanbase (Ugh) and the fact that it is sadly the next whore for Hot Topic, its become required nerd reading. Still, if you are a weeaboo, anti-comic aficionado or you've been under a rock for the past five years, you should read the comic. A genius vision about the superhero genre and a classic piece of writing enjoyable through multiple reads and great for all ages (over 12 or so). I can't say too much. 
On a side note: I hate the new fanbase. Seriously. If you draw gay Naruto and Sasuke relations (which are apparently canon) thats fine. They are dry archetypes who will probably turn gay. Rorshach and Dr. Manhattan though? Neither of them are gay. If you are going to draw gay fanart, do Hooded Justice and Ozymandias (both gay in canon in extended universe). Except they were never around to meet. Still, don't fuck up a work of art like this. 

V for Vendetta by Alan Moore
Better than the movie which barely did the comic justice. You probably know the story already. Or the outline. Trust me though, they cut out way too much from the comic. Its worth a look.

Batman: The Long Halloween/Dark Victory by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale
Very possibly my favorite graphic novel ever. Even better than Watchmen combined. Essentially it takes place in that transition period between the mobsters and the supervillains. Part mystery, part asskicking with some of the best Harvey Dent action. Spoiler: He turns into Two-Face. Its classic and if you liked the Dark Knight at all, you'll enjoy this.

Batman: Hush by Jeph Loeb
Hush makes it on my list of great comics thanks to the beautiful art, great use of the villains and another great mystery that reminds you why Batman originally appeared in Detective Comics. Plus, Batman fights Superman so check it out.

Y: The Last Man by Brian K. Vaughan
The idea is simple. Something kills all the men on Earth except for one man, Yorick and his pet monkey. From that points its up to him to navigate a world thrown into chaos. It grips you and doesn't let go. I need to pick up the next section though.

Short reviews I know but I have a dozen other things to do.

No comments: